Question 13

13.  Do you have a power of attorney for your spouse/children/parents?

    Another myth in estate planning is that a spouse may sign legal or financial documents for the other spouse. Except for joint bank accounts this generally is not true. Without proper legal documents you would have to take your spouse - or elderly disabled parent - to court to be appointed a conservator. This is a very expensive, time consuming and humiliating process - and totally avoidable with a Springing Durable General Power of Attorney. This document lets you name a trusted individual to act on your behalf in the event you ever become incapacitated and unable to make legal or financial decisions on your own.

Back to Quiz      Home

©1996 - 2003 Copyright EPI - CEPP - ABC LAW - All Rights Reserved